#houses to let
A first or second serve that nicks the net and lands in is called a let. The serve must be taken over. There is no limit to how many lets a server can have in a point. A let is also the term used when an extraneous object interferes with a point, a distraction disturbs play or a player is not ready to receive serve. Either player may call out “let” to stop play.
Meaning is self evident. Often given in the cod latin version as ‘nil carborundum’.
From the Bible. Ephesians 4:26. Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath. Meaning
Encourage many ideas from many sources.
One of Chairman Mao’s rejoinders to the chinese people during the Cultural Revolution. Meaning
To disclose a secret.
A favourite country trick used to be to substitute a cat for a pig at markets. If you let the cat out of the bag you disclosed the trick – and avoided buying a pig in a poke (bag). Origin
Marie Antoinette is supposed to have said this when she was told that the peasantry had no bread to eat. There’s no evidence to support this story though. Origin
From the Bible, Genesis 1:3. ‘And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.’ Meaning
Behave in a free or uninhibited manner.
From the days when women normally wore their hair pinned up. Origin
From the christian marriage ceremony. ‘Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.’ Taken from the Bible; Matthew 19:6.
著作権: © 2004 The Phrase Finder. Take a look at Phrase Finder’s sister site, the Phrases Thesaurus. a subscription service for professional writers & language lovers. もっと: 英語から英語へのletの翻訳
permitto permissi permissum, sino
Letter (file name extension)
1. the most brutal terrorist group active in Kashmir; fights against India with the goal of restoring Islamic rule of India; “Lashkar-e-Toiba has committed mass murders of civilian Hindus”
(synonym) Lashkar-e-Taiba, Lashkar-e-Toiba, Lashkar-e-Tayyiba, Army of the Pure, Army of the Righteous
(hypernym) terrorist organization, terrorist group, foreign terrorist organization, FTO
(classification) Pakistan, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, West Pakistan
1. a serve that strikes the net before falling into the receiver’s court; the ball must be served again
(synonym) net ball
(hypernym) serve, service
1. make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen; “This permits the water to rush in”; “This sealed door won’t allow the water come into the basement”; “This will permit the rain to run off”
(synonym) allow, permit
(antonym) prevent, keep
2. actively cause something to happen; “I let it be known that I was not interested”
(hypernym) induce, stimulate, cause, have, get, make
3. consent to, give permission; “She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband”; “I won’t let the police search her basement”; “I cannot allow you to see your exam”
(synonym) permit, allow, countenance
(hypernym) accept, consent, go for
(hyponym) digest, endure, stick out, stomach, bear, stand, tolerate, support, brook, abide, suffer, put up
(verb-group) allow, grant
4. cause to move; cause to be in a certain position or condition; “He got his squad on the ball”; “This let me in for a big surprise”; “He got a girl into trouble”
(synonym) get, have
(hypernym) make, get
5. leave unchanged; “let it be”
(hypernym) leave, leave alone, leave behind
6. grant use or occupation of under a term of contract; “I am leasing my country estate to some foreigners”