HEALTH INFORMATICS & INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
Graduate Student Survey Statistics:
o 83.3% said the program helped them acquire the knowledge necessary to function in their current job.
o 75% said the program prepared them to be able to recommend appropriate procedures relevant to their job.
o 91.6% said the program enabled them to think critically, solve problems, and develop appropriate action steps.
o 75% said the the program prepared them to be able to recommend appropriate procedures relevant to my job.
Program Format – Online
Admission Requirements -No GRE Required
Applicants must posses a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and must meet the minimum admission requirements of the Graduate School, as well as the admission requirements of the Department of Health Informatics Information Management.
Admission requirements for the Masters in Health Informatics (MHI) Program
• Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
• Unconditional admission to the master’s program in the department requires completion of a bachelor’s degree in Health Information Mangament or related area, at least 3.0 (4.0 system) overall (or last 60 hours) grade point average.Conditional admission will be granted to applicants not meeting requirements for unconditional admission but who have a GPA of at least 2.50 overall or for the last 60 hours. Conditional status may be changed to unconditional status when a student earns a minimum of 9 hours of graduate credit at Louisiana Tech, provided he or she has a “B” average on all work pursued for graduate credit, including no grade lower than “C” and not more than one course with a grade of “C”. If a student completes 9 hours of graduate credit and is not eligible for unconditional status, the student will be dropped from graduate status.
• At least two years of work experience in industries that can directly translate to health informatics, such as health care, IT, health information management, consulting, or law. For the students who do not have a healthcare background, need to submit an essay. The essay should answer the following questions in about 500 words.
o What experiences led you to pursue a Master’s degree in Health Informatics?
o What leadership skills have you demonstrated in your field?
o What are your career goals and how will a Master’s in Health Informatics support these goals?
o Why did you choose Louisiana Tech for your studies?
o Describe the role of health informatics in assuring the quality of care and safety of healthcare services.
• The students who choose not to submit an essay will need to submit a GRE score.
• Official transcripts sent in a signed, sealed envelope from each post secondary institution attended.
• Resume highlighting the applicant’s education and experience
• Personal statement from the applicant, addressing the outcomes and benefits the applicant hopes to receive by completing the program.
• Three letters of recommendation
• Interview to determine eligibility, interest, and purpose of study
• If applicants are international, they must submit:
1. ECE or WES Course-by-Course Evaluation: at applicant’s expense, original sent from company, completed within two years of application.
2. Certified or notarized copy of official transcript
3. Certified or notarized copy of English translation of transcript
The Master’s in Health Informatics (MHI) is fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Health Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Our program strives to provide excellence in online education with the updated curriculum that meets the current healthcare industry standards.