PostgreSQL Sample Database
Summary: in this tutorial, we will introduce you to a PostgreSQL sample database that you can use for learning and practice PostgreSQL.
We will use the DVD rental database for demonstrating the features of PostgreSQL.
The DVD rental database was ported from the sakila sample database for PostgreSQL with some adjustments. The DVD rental database represents business processes of a DVD rental store. The DVD rental database has many objects including:
DVD Rental ER Model
PostgreSQL Sample Database Tables
There are 15 tables in the DVD Rental database:
- actor stores actors data including first name and last name.
- film stores films data such as title, release year, length, rating, etc.
- film_actor stores the relationships between films and actors.
- category stores film s categories data.
- film_category- stores the relationships between films and categories.
- store contains the store data including manager staff and address.
- inventory stores inventory data.
- rental stores rental data.
- payment stores customer s payments.
- staff stores staff data.
- customer stores customers data.
- address stores address data for staff and customers
- city stores the city names.
- country stores the country names.
Download PostgreSQL sample database
You can download the PostgreSQL DVD Rental sample database via the following link:
The database file is in zip format ( dvdrental.zip ) so you need to extract it to dvdrental.tar before loading the sample database into the PostgreSQL database server.
Download printable ER diagram
Besides the sample database, we also provide you with a printable ER diagram in PDF format.You can download and print the ER diagram for reference while practicing with PostgreSQL.
This tutorial introduced you to a PostgreSQL sample database named DVD rental. We will use this database in our PostgreSQL tutorials so make sure that you have it on your server.