7 Reasons to Use a Grow Tent
If you want to garden year-round and have an unused indoor space, consider growing edibles under a grow tent. From leafy greens and fig trees to cauliflower or tomatoes, there are plenty of options for what you can plant in your grow tent.
Grow tents help gardeners create optimal growing environments indoors. They are usually made out of flexible materials and include fans, lights, and sometimes carbon filters. The reflective material on the inside helps prevent hot spots.
Seedlings benefit dramatically from the enclosed environment because it allows you, the grower, complete control over climate and lighting.
7 Reasons to use a Grow Tent:
1. Garden year-round. Mother Nature no longer controls what you can grow when you use a grow tent. You can grow your favorite veggies, salad greens and more from seeds or seedlings whenever and wherever you want.
2. Use space wisely. An indoor grow tent can take up as much or as little space as you want. They are ideal for growing in areas you normally wouldn’t think of, such as a garage or closet.
4. Keep pests out. The closed design of grow tents keeps pests such as whiteflies, aphids and spider mites away. Pest control with a grow tent is nothing compared to the issues many gardeners run into when growing outdoors. As long as you keep your tent closed, pests will stay out.
5. Circulate clean air. Many grow tents come with air filtration systems that enhance the circulation of clean air in the tent. The filtration system draws air from the interior parts of the grow tent via a filter that is carbon activated and releases it outside the tent.
This process is called “negative pressure” and has been proven to be highly effective in maintaining fresh air inside grow tents.
6. Get lighting right. Unlike a windowsill or grow box, tents use a reflective material inside to maximize and intensify the light. Walls reflect and diffuse the light, exposing plants to a greater concentration of light when growing indoors.
Match the size of your lighting fixtures to the size of the tent and cooling ability. The right lighting will allow plants to maximize their growing potential. Fully utilizing your lighting saves energy and further reduces the costs of being an indoor grower.
7. Easy set up. You don’t have to be an expert to figure out how to set up and use a grow tent. They are perfect for beginners. Many grow tents do not need tools to be set up. Choose a location with adequate access to power and water to keep your grow tent for the duration of your plants’ growing needs.
RELATED ARTICLES IN EDIBLES